Mexicans who settled in the Tularosa Basin in the mid-1880s obtained
water rights to graze cattle in the fertile canyons of the Sacramento
Mountains. By the 1880s, homesteaders discovered the area, bought the
water rights and began establishing farms.
David M. Sutherland located in the High Rolls area in 1883 and was
soon followed by Francisco Maes and Cipriano Tefoya, who came up from La
Luz in 1884 and settled in the Mountain Park area. P.M. “Uncle Button”
Nelson, Jack Tucker and William Karr married sisters and moved into the
region in 1885. Other early settlers included I.Q. Snow, Hamilton
Kimberlin, Michael Mulchay, George Van Sickle, Eugene Sullivan, Fletcher
and James Thompson, J.M. Bennett, Venturo Giron, George Wofford, Charlie
McClure, Antonio Vargas and Ben Wooten.
They built and maintained ditches to divert the Fresnal water to
their crops and built the first dirt road from Fresnal to La Luz.
Fresnal, later known as Wooten, had the first post office in the area,
established in 1894.
The coming of the railroad in 1898
opened up the area for the shipment of goods to market and development
of the tourist trade. By 1899, trains went as far as Toboggan Canyon,
where passengers were transferred to stagecoaches for the final miles to
Cloudcroft. Freight depots and Wells Fargo offices were built in both
High Rolls and Mountain Park. The railroad operated on a regular basis
until World War II. It finally ceased operation in 1948.
The first official use of the High Rolls name was in 1901, when the post
office was moved from Fresnal (Wooten) to High Rolls. The name, which
was sometimes spelled as one word, Highrolls, supposedly came from the
shape and elevation of the area as compared to the sharper peaks higher
Mountain Park received its name from Edgar
Cadwallader, who came there in 1903 with the intent to grow fruit and
vegetables. Others settled in the area and the resulting orchards
produced apples, cherries, peaches, pears, cauliflower, and cabbage. It
became so successful that the post office was moved there from High
Rolls in 1904.
Other activities in the High
Rolls/Mountain Park area included a poultry farm, a sawmill, a
blacksmith shop and a shingle mill run by water from the Fresnal. The
Courtney Mine shipped copper ore from its location 4 miles south of High
The first store was the High Rolls Mercantile
Store, built in 1905, it is still standing on Railroad Drive in High
Rolls. The original area school was a log cabin built in 1889. A school
in Haynes Canyon was built in 1908 and the rock school in Karr Canyon
was built in 1922 using some of the lumber from the old Haynes Canyon
school. Although designed for indoor plumbing none was installed until
1944, because some school board members believed it was unnecessary.
The first church building was constructed of logs in 1888. In 1906, the
Fresnal Baptist Church was built in Haynes Canyon. It is the present
High Rolls/Mountain Park United Methodist Church, now a state historical
The High Rolls Development Company was formed in
1909 and built a three-story hotel with 25 rooms, which opened in 1912.
The company also constructed about 50 guest cottages for summer
visitors. Over the years, the hotel served as a tuberculosis sanitarium
and later as a retreat for Jesuit priests. Finally, the hotel was
dismantled, with part staying and becoming a private residence while
other parts became homes in Alamogordo. Of the 50 cottages, only about
six remain, all remodeled and added to, on what was known as Cottage
The 160 acre Skyline Ranch of the YMCA was a
well-known feature of the region from its start in 1908 as Camp
Mescalero until it was sold and became private property in the 1980s.
Probably the best known native of the area is Bill Mauldin, nationally
syndicated cartoonist, Pulitzer Prize winner and creator or World War II
heroes Willie and Joe. Mauldin was born and raised in Mountain Park and
his first cartoon appeared in the Alamogordo High School newspaper.
The two communities have grown over the years and are now considered by
many to be one entity. At least the federal government has since 1956,
when it established the High Rolls/Mountain Park Post Office.
by Pat Rand Author’s
note - information for this article was taken from the book, Fresnal
History, and from the archives of the Sacramento Mountains Historical